Zipping between Georgetown and Dupont we easily miss some of the best homes in our own neighborhood. We're too busy with meetings, phone calls, and text messages to notice some of these behemoth's in our presence. Located right on Q Street is one of the great homes, Dumbarton House.
Dumbarton House is a Federal-style home located in the hustle and bustle of it all but slightly hidden due to the nature of the walls surrounding it. It was completed originally around 1800 and soon sold after four years to the Nourse family. Joseph Nourse, the first Register of the United States Treasury, lived there for a few years until he sold the property in 1813 to Charles Carroll of Belle Vue. The house has been sold and leased to prominent Washingtonians throughout the years until the National Society of Coloniel Dames of America purchased it in 1928.
The home itself has gone through an extensive change when the city wanted to literally bridge the gap between Georgetown and Washington in 1915. Rock Creek physically separated the two neighborhoods therefore and the only option was to build a bridge to extend Q street. The new street would run directly through Dumbarton House so the owners could move it or demolish it. Thankfully, the home was moved and now we enjoy easy access between the two previously separated areas.
The home currently is undergoing renovation and will be closed until April 2017. The home has a lovely stream of public and private events so it can be used for your personal use or for events within the community. The home has been restored previously to highlight the textiles, furnishing, and artwork of the Federal period.
All pictures unless noted otherwise are property of Venyou Events LLC.